Users have different needs, not one setting works for everyone. To help keep things flexible on macOS, we’ve created ZuluDesk Self Service. The tool gives users restricted control over their own devices, allowing them to install applications and configuration on-demand as they need them.
Additionally, finding lost macOS devices is now easier than ever. We’ve released a new feature which allows devices to be locked, and optionally play an alert at full volume. Helping missing devices to be restricted until they are returned or found.
How to install the 'ZuluDesk Self Service' and 'Where's My Mac?' apps?
- Download the "ZuluDesk Self Service" package (v2.1)
- In ZuluDesk, go to Apps and click on "Add In-House macOS Package"
- Upload the package you've just downloaded
How to distribute the ZuluDesk Self Service app
- In ZuluDesk, create a Smart Group or Static Group with all or a selection of your macOS devices in it. With a Smart Group you can easily filter out all macOS devices by using the following rule: "Operating System" "equals" "macOS". Leave the optional "min" and "max" fields empty like displayed on the screenshot below.
- Click on "Apps" and open the "ZuluDesk Self Service" app
- Click on the black "+" button to add a new group to the scope
- Select the group you've created in step 1 and make sure the installation method is set to "Automatic Installation"
- Click on the blue "Save" button
How is the ZuluDesk Self Service app configured?
The ZuluDesk Self Service app will be automatically configured if one of the following two criteria are met:
- The device has a permanent owner in ZuluDesk. If this is true, this user will automatically be logged in, regardless of who is currently logged in on the Mac.
- The user that is currently logged in on the Mac is a "Network User" and its username is known in ZuluDesk.
If none of the above criteria are met, the ZuluDesk Self Service app will not be automatically configured and will present a login window.
How is the Where's My Mac? app configured?
The Where's My Mac? app will be configured and run if the following two criteria are met:
- The "ZuluDesk Self Service" package is installed.
- The macOS device is running version 10.11 or higher.
Contents of the package
- The "ZuluDesk.app" which will be installed in /Applications
- The "Where's My Mac?" helper application which will be installed in /Library/Application Support/ZuluDesk
- The "applicationhunter" helper which is installed in /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools. This helper is responsible for removing on-demand installed applications
- 3 LaunchAgents which are responsible for launching the Self Service, the "Where is my Mac" helper and the "applicationhunter". The LaunchAgents are installed in /Library/LaunchAgents and are named:
How to uninstall the ZuluDesk Self Service & Where's My Mac? apps: