Apple expanded the Device Enrollment Program with a new way to introduce devices into the program. Previously, DEP only supported devices that were purchased from a supported sales channel. Now you can also enroll your own devices in DEP regardless of how you purchased them. This will particularly help schools that received donated devices. Now this new enrollment method differs in two ways. The first is that the device is always supervised and MDM management is always mandatory. The second is a 30-day provisional period, when you add a device to DEP it erases the device. Then the provisional period starts when the device is subsequently activated. During the provisional period the lock screen and setup assistant indicates the device is provisionally enrolled and the user can remove the device from DEP and set up assistant or settings, which also erases the device. But after the 30 days expire, the user can no longer do so.
With each new release of iOS there are new panes in the setup assistant. DEP configuration allows you to skip these panes, so these are the new skip keys in the DEP Profiles with the release of iOS 11.
- iOS 11 device;
- Apple Configurator 2.5;
Steps to take:
- Create a blueprint;
- Enroll the device with Apple Configurator ;
- Make the DEP settings
Create a blueprint:
- In Apple Configurator go to “Blueprints” -> “Edit Blueprints’ -> “New”;
- Name the blueprint, for example “Add to DEP Blueprint” -> select the blueprint -> Prepare;
- Check “Add to Device Enrollment Program”, Activated and complete enrollment", "Supervise Devices" -> Next;
- Optional step for adding to DEP & Enrolling: Select your server or select “New Server” - Next;
- Give the new MDM server a name (for example: "Jamf School”), enter the Apple Configurator 2 MDM Server URL you can find in Jamf School Devices -> Enroll Device(s) URL in the “Enrollment URL” field and click on the “Next” button;
- Choose “zuludesk” for the anchor certificate and click on the “Next” button;
- Select your organization or select “New organization”, enter information about your organization and click on the “Next” button;
- Optional: choose the steps you want to skip during the setup and click on the “Next” button when you’re ready;
- Add a WiFI profile for the enrollment;
- Enter your Apple ID you use to login to ASM/DEP and click prepare;
- Click on the “Done” button at the bottom right of the window to save the blueprint and return to the view with all connected devices.
Apply the blueprint:
- Connect one or more devices using, for example, an USB hub;
- Make sure the device runs iOS 11;
- Select the devices you want to enroll in Jamf School (tip: use CMD + a to select all currently connected devices);
- Click on the “Blueprints” button, click on the blueprint you’ve just created and click on “Apply” to start applying the blueprint to the selected device(s);
- You might be asked to sign in to the Device Enrollment Program with your AppleID;
- Finish the setup on the device.
- Login to Device Enrollment Program or Apple School Manager;
- You will find your added iOS Device assigned to the “Devices Added by Apple Configurator 2” server;
Now the provisional period starts when the device is subsequently activated. During the provisional period the lock screen and setup assistant indicates the device is provisionally enrolled and the user can remove the device from DEP and set up assistant or settings, which also erases the device. But after the 30 days expire, the user can no longer do so. After this period you can assign the device to your MDM server and use DEP to enroll your device.